Sunday, December 5, 2010

I know I said I would stay away until after I take the Big Test but...

I WENT TO LONDON AND PARIS FOR THANKSGIVING

And it was FABULOUS.  I got to see my beloved Puya and a whole bunch of old things that we just don't have in the States. And oh, the food...Here are some highlights:

I wanted to eat EVERYTHING in the Borough Market - giant pots of curries, piles of old crumbly cheese, mulled wine, and a strange fascination with pies?




Sasquatch!

 The Tate Modern Museum - which looks strangely like the Ministry of Love


The marvelous sunflower seeds exhibit - something like 5 billion handmade hand painted porcelain seeds


shArt?


Pop Art + Puya


The London Wall: It's kind of in the way...


A flying buttress at Westminster Abbey


Happy Thanksgiving!  We represented our homeland quite well I think with mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, stuffing, baked tofu and pumpkin pie.


Puya's street in Brixton (London)> It snowed!



In Paris: The most eclectic flea market I have ever been to.  Unfortunately cheese and chocolates took up all the extra space in my luggage.


First meal in Paris! A light lunch of brie cheese, blue cheese, some other cheese and salade vert.


Sooo beautiful.


We showed up at Notre Dame cathedral as they were lighting the Holiday Tree. Puya was not amused. Also: note my adorable French hat.


La Tour Eiffel


Miracle of Miracles: Unpasteurized Camembert, Roasted, with Honey = Scrumptious.


On the sidewalk


Best-smelling bakery I've ever been in!


And the best baguette!


We walked across a bridge by the Louvre with little locks attached all along the sides.  Each lock had a couple's names on it.


In the gardens outside the Louvre: Sasquatch!


Christmas lights were up in the Marais, at least I think it says something about Christmas...


Back in London:

Whatever they're selling, I'm buying it!


My first (and only) taste of pot pie: wayyy too heavy for lunch! Or dinner!


I went inside, and it was actually quite classy.


The inside courtyard of the British museum has been enclosed with this gorgeous glass ceiling. I didn't have much time for the exhibits but it was quite impressive.


And to finish: More cheese. This one from a market in Paris, a lovely raw milk chevre with the perfect amount of tang.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my god! I'm so jealous! But, glad you got to go hang out with Puya in one of my very favorite places ever (and Paris isn't so bad either). And, it's good to see you haven't changed too much...still eating up a storm and being awesome. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete